Monday, January 18, 2010

OMG, I am that woman!

OK, so you know how women are so emotional and worry about everything and take everything on their shoulders as if they could carry the world?(I am woman, hear me roar!) You know what I'm talking about. And then there comes a breaking point and she can't take it anymore and has a few minutes of weakness where she just needs somebody else to hold her up?

Well, I am that woman, too. Never thought I was. I'm usually cool, calm, collected, you know, an easy-going, laid-back, don't worry, be happy kinda chick. Well, not so much.

Last week I had my 1st homeowner disaster. Pipe burst in the front yard and practically flooded the place. Thought it was the sprinkler system so someone came out and dug up part of the yard to find the problem. Turns out he couldn't fix it because it was purely a plumbing problem and he wasn't authorized to fix it. So I had to scramble and find a plumber to come out that same day(I can't imagine how much my water bill will be!). So he comes out and checks the problem and quotes an hourly rate + supplies. "Oh, this won't take more than an hour, ma'am" he says to me and I'm thinking SWEET!

Two hours later....

"Ma'am, I'm not quite finished and I have to come back in the morning(WHAT?!?!). Shouldn't be more than an hour after I get here."(yeah, right Mr. Hourly, you said that before) So how does a one hour gig become a gotta come back in the morning gig. Well, I ain't a plumber and this is an emergency so really, what can I do but take his word?

Next morning....

He's half an hour late. And takes longer than hour. Has made 3 trips to Lowe's for supplies and that better not be included in his hourly rate, doggone it!

Mind you, I'm not at work which usually is a great thing but dang it, I don't want to be stuck at home waiting for him to finish up and the bill that's adding up. Oh, the horror! I don't want the bill!

He finishes up around 12:30 and says "I stopped your time at 11:45 because blah blah blah". Hmmm, should I say thank you? Well, I didn't. I just paid the man and said good riddance and went to get ready for work.

This whole ordeal was quite stressful. Hadn't had any issues like this at the house but I took it in stride. Or so I thought....

The plumber left and I went around the house making sure everything that used water was working properly. Went to the bathroom and flushed. Nothing happened. Tried again. Nothing.

OMG OMG OMG, I started to hyperventilate. Like what the hell is going on? Did he just fix one thing and break another. OMGOMGOMGOMG, where did my oxygen go? I can't breathe!!!

I swear I had a nervous breakdown right there in the bathroom. Tears streaming down my face, gulping for air, not my usual calm self. Why? Because the dang toilet wouldn't flush!

You see, I am that woman. Didn't know it until now. It all worked out in the end(although my pockets aren't as fat) but it doesn't change the fact that I broke down because the toilet wouldn't flush. How did I get here?!?!?!

1 comment:

Del said...

NO! The plumber drama! :-( You forgot the handyman drama though. :-) Hey, we are all that woman. No matter how strong we think we are, we are still flesh and bone, soft and easily broken. That's why we got Jesus to hold us up. :-)