Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Car, part 2

The very next day...

I'm feeling good. Got my car fixed up and she's riding fine. When lunch time rolls around, I decide to head over to Borders to look for a book I've been wanting. My coworkers invite me to eat with them at the office to gossip a bit, but I need to see the outside world. I don't like being stuck in the office all day. Going to the bookstore is always a good idea.

Except maybe today. Cinnamon(my car, remember?) and I roll out of the parking garage just like any other day. I turn the corner and see a bird(a pigeon, perhaps) in the middle of my lane, chilling like he owns the street. As I drive towards him, I wait for him to fly off because never has a bird not flown off as my car approaches. Never! Until today...

Oh my gosh, I hit the bird!!! And he must've tried to fly off, because he hit the front of my car and, oh so slowly, rolled up my hood, up the windshield and over the car. Tragedy has struck America! Mind you, this all feels like very slow motion so I can see and practically feel every turn the bird's body makes as he rolls. I can see his feathers flying to the left and right, and I hear the thud of his body hitting my car. And as he rolls up my windshield, not on the passenger side, but right in front of me(!), my arms fly up as if to protect me from an oncoming baseball. (Wait, why are my arms up?) As I grab the steering wheel again, I see an SUV coming towards me and I'm so very sure that they just witnessed everything.

Now, I have witnesses! I'm already horrified and now I have witnesses! I'm still driving down the street, not sure where I'm going anymore. And the most terrifying thought crosses my mind.

What if the bird rolled up my windshield and is stuck on my roof?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

As this horrible thought crosses my mind, I quickly make a U-turn to visit the scene of the crime. Otherwise I'm stuck in this car because I can't bear to get out and find a dead bird on top of my car. I have to go back to keep my sanity in tact.

As I drive past "the spot" I see the poor thing lying on the side of the road. And, I must admit, I feel a bit nauseous. So I call my sister and tell her what happened in an effort to calm my nerves. But it doesn't really work. So, what do I do? I head to Borders anyway. Now I definitely need a distraction!

As I pull into the parking lot I deliberately avoid parking under a tree because I know that all of those birds will want revenge for their fallen comrade. I slowly get out of the car looking for any signs of the accident. Whew, no evidence.

By the time I get back to the office to eat lunch, my appetite is still lost. Borders was only a small distraction; what I really needed was short term memory loss. Oh, well...back to work...

1 comment:

Del said...

LOL! Survival of the fittest! Darwinism in action! LOL! HILARIOUS!