Sunday, August 16, 2009

Maybe I'm not supposed to own a car...

What a week it's been for me and my car, Cinnamon. We've been through a lot together over the 6 years I've had her. But this week takes the cake! First, Tuesday after work as I pulled into a parking space at Target, a screw fell out of the gear shift. (just my luck!) At first I couldn't put it into park. But then I pushed it down then forward and it worked. So, of course, I went on into Target without a care in the world because I knew when I got home I'd just screw it back in. Easy, right? Little did I know of all the problems this would lead to...

Well, I got home with my purchases and the first thing I did was find the screwdriver and fix the gear shift. Then I got my purchases out of the trunk and went inside. No problem.

Next morning...just like any other weekday I wake up, rush to get ready for work and look at my sister with envy as she watches a movie on the couch before going into work(why can't I go into work at 10, too???) I step out into the garage, and lo and behold, I had left the trunk up...all night long. No problem, I'm thinking, just close it and get in. When I get in the car I notice that I also left the interior lights on from my handy work. But, oddly enough, they look dull. No problem, just turn them off and start her up.

Hmmm, nothing happens when I turn the key but a low whining noise. So of course I try again...still nothing. Dang! Dead battery! Now what do I do?

I go back inside to tell my sister and find out what I'm supposed to do in this situation. This has never happened to me before. My sis asks "Do we have any jumper cables?" My response, "I don't have any jumper cables." Her reply, "Then I guess we don't have any." Then she gives me her car keys and tells me to go to Wal-Mart to get jumper cables. "Have you ever jumped a car before?" I ask. "Sure" she replies, and I run off to the store in high hopes.

When I return 20 mins later, she's on the internet reading instructions on how to jump a car. Hmm, I'm thinking, I thought she knew what she was doing. Oh, well, it's probably easy, people do it all the time. So we go out to the garage and get to work. Well, she gets to work and I watch. Maybe I'll learn something.

20 more mins later...no jump, no nothing. And my sis has to get to a meeting by 10. "What am I supposed to do?!?!?" Now I'm all stressed out!

"Your insurance should have roadside assistance. Call them." She's a genius!

I've already called my manager and left him a message while shopping for jumper cables, but I send him an email anyway to tell him again that I'm late and that now I have to wait for roadside assistance to come save the day....who shows up 30 mins later in my driveway with a little box that connects to the battery and jumps my car in no more than 5 mins. Yay! Now I just gotta go get a new battery....which they install in less than 10 mins(again, yay!), but it still costs more than I would like. Oh, well.

And that was just the beginning...

No comments: