Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Good Time Had by Me

Have you ever had one of those days when you were overjoyed to have personal time to just do whatever you wanted on a whim? Just enjoy your day, alone and unhindered? Well, Friday I had that day. I took a half day and only had to work til noon. By 11:30 that morning I had no plans whatsoever on how I would spend my afternoon. So I quickly checked the movie listings for both the dollar movie theater and the full-priced theater. As cheap as I am, full-priced won out mostly because it was at the mall and gave me a chance to do some shopping(woohoo!).

The movie I picked, The Hangover, started at 12:25p. I didn't leave work til 12:05 and cursed myself on the way to my car, because of all mornings, I decided to park farther away to get some much needed exercise. So I strolled into the mall at 12:15 but I had to get lunch first(another reason I picked this theater is because they let you bring in outside food). I dashed to the food court and hit up Charley's...again of all picks I went with the one that cooks your food made-to-order, substituting the fast food lamp for slow food freshness. At 12:25 I was climbing the escalator, rushing to the ticket booth. Everybody knows previews run for 10 mins, sometimes more, but really I just wanted a good seat(even though the movie had been out a while; sometimes you just never know).

I rushed into the theater and I could see that a preview was still running(turned out to be the last one). I turned the corner to look for a seat in the darkness and (aaahhhhh, there go the angels singing softly in my head) the theater was completely empty! This has never happened to me before. I had the entire theater to myself. So, of course, I made all the noise I wanted, laughing way too loud and talking to the characters as if they could hear me. Perfection!

And that was just the beginning of a GREAT afternoon. And I didn't need anybody's company but my own.

No comments: