Friday, June 18, 2010

Think before you let me speak

So, yesterday I went to this luncheon with several ladies from work. Our company had two tables and as I’m walking to one I notice it’s full so I turn to the other table. As I’m sitting down, one of the ladies right next to me says “Amanda, look at you bringing a little color to the table”. And my response? “In more ways than one.”

CRAP! Open mouth, insert foot. I’m staring down at the table wondering how awkward this is going to be. Surely, I did not just say that. Of course she’s referring to the green dress I’m wearing whereas everyone else has on black and white and NOT the color of my skin, but the words are out before I even think about it and awkwardness ensues….

But after a couple seconds pause that felt like forever, she and the lady on my other side start laughing as if I’ve told the best joke on the planet and I start laughing too. Conversation starts rolling and everything is O-K. Disaster averted!

WHEW!

Peace out! -A

No comments: